A Wealth of Philosophical Wisdom from the North


In my short stay in Baguio City, I had the pleasure to meet two of its philosophy scholars and book authors, Dr. Gleemoore Makie of Urdaneta City University, who taught previously at the Philippine Military Academy, and Dr. Charlie Dagwasi, philosophy professor and dean at Benguet State University.

Our conversations focused on the efforts of fellow philosophy and ethics researchers from the northern part of the country in exploring the wealth of local wisdom and at the same time, in enhancing the content of two general elective courses (Ethics and Logic). I missed my supposed to be meeting with Dr. Danilo Alterado by 15 minutes, as he already left the Saint Louis University Campus. Dr. Makie, who was my former student at the Ateneo de Davao, shared great stories about his colleague, Prof. Lian Giangan, who teaches presently at the PMA. This nice conversation took place over lunch while I tried the exquisite taste of Baguio's version of the dinuguan.

Dr. Makie showed me his books, including his collection of philosophical poems. Dr. Makie sent via courier a week after Prof. Giangan's book on Christian Ethics, which the PMA is using. Over native coffee, Dr. Makie, myself, and Dr. Dagwasi talked about the growth of philosophizing in the different regions, and the zeal that inspires many young scholars to develop their craft. I was happy to share some ideas on how to get published and the irony that while we Filipinos try hard to undestand Western thinkers, many scholars from foreign countries are actually intersted in our own local and indigenous philosophizing.

Dr. Dagwasi said that he noticed I no longer post about politics. I told him that after the publication of my book on Radical Democracy, there is not much left to say. The politics of our time has won me friends and enemies, I said. I told him, however, that there is so much to do and spend time on. A great example, I said, is reading the works written by young academics, and helping them get the exposure they need through scholarly gatherings.

I mentioned to him that the growth of the SES was something its 100-strong members owe to Dr. Romulo Bautista, who was a great mentor to many graduate students at AdDU. Dr. Bautista died in 2013. A week before his final breath, I was able to visit him at the Davao Doctors Hospital. We talked politics. Many of his students still have fond memories of him. Their weekend classes often extend to eternity.

Dr. Bautista's essays are posted in the Philipine Democracy Online Blog. Meanwhile, my colleague in AdDU, Prof. Ambong Fernandez, is probably the most published textbook author in the country. He has done so quietly, and in the same way as Dr. Makie, the impact of their books remain intact in the hearts and minds of their students, past and present.

I believe that there is so much to learn from each other and while there are efforts by some good people to undermine what we do, we just have to go on with the wonderful things that we have started. Dr. Makie also shared his own challenges in writing and publishing. I said that the things that we do are for the good of many and not the satisfaction of our critics. 

Baguio City has always been an unforgettable place  As educators, it is the good relations that we try to develop with each other that will matter. By helping others achieve worthy and noble causes, we contribute in turning every potential into a reality. I think that in this life, you can either choose to be authentic or become a hypocrite. "We can't be the latter," Dr. Makie said.

- CRB Maboloc

Popular posts from this blog

What does it mean to be a Scholar?

The Paradigm Shift in Filipino Philosophical Theorizing

What Filipino Philosophy Really Meant to Me